9-volt batteries power our smoke alarms, household items and toys. They can be found in most homes.
But these batteries can be a fire hazard if not stored safely or disposed of with care.
- 9-volt batteries can be dangerous. The positive negatives posts are close together. If a metal object touches the two posts of a 9-volt battery, it can cause a short circuit. This can make enough heat to start a fire.
- It is unsafe to store 9-volt batteries in a drawer near paper clips, coins, pens, or other batteries. Do not store common household items such as steel wool, aluminum foil, and keys near 9-volt batteries. If these items touch the two posts, there is greater risk of a fire starting.
- Weak batteries may not have enough charge to cause a fire. Some fires have started in trash when 9-volt batteries were thrown away with other metal items.